The $50 Piecaken Christmas Lunch as seen on The Today Show!
Every year we all seem to spend hundreds of dollars on a single Christmas Meal then have leftovers for weeks afterwards! This year it won’t happen! Here is a simple Christmas Lunch that has all that ‘Specialness’ of Christmas Day – without the big prices!READ MORE 10 Amazing Slices I’d Sell My Mother For
- All of these ingredients were obtained from Woolworths and prices are correct as of the 17th December 2018.
- All ingredients are widely available.
Shortcrust Sour Cream Quiches
- 1 sheet Shortcrust Pastry ($2.61)
- 3 Eggs (0.75c)
- 300ml Sour Cream ($1.65)
Total for Sour Cream Quiches: $5.01
An Error Was Encountered
Unable to connect to MongoDB: Could not connect to any of 1 hosts. Latest error: unable to connect to 127.0.0.1:27017 because: Connection refused
How to Make Mini Sour Cream Quiches:
- Cut out small rounds of pastry and press into a 12-hole muffin tin. Bake the cases for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
- In a jug, mix together the sour cream and the eggs. Pour the mixture into the pastry cases.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Turkey Roll with Roasted Potato and Pumpkin with fresh green beans and Rocket and Feta Salad
- 1kg Turkey Roll with Apricot Stuffing ($17.00)
- Potatoes ($5.00)
- Pumpkin ($0.53)
- Pepitas ($0.75)
- 2 x 60 gram Packets of Rocket ($4.00)
- 200 grams Feta ($3.99)
- Fresh Green Beans ($3.80)
Total Cost for Main Meal: $30.07
How to Make the Mains:
- Cook the Turkey Roll according to the instructions.
- Peel and boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, then pop them in the oven with the Turkey Roll (this gives the potatoes a crispy skin)
- Cut the pumpkin into slices (leave the skin on for more flavour) and bake with the potatoes.
- Steam the Green Beans for 10 minutes before serving.
- To make the Salad, wash the rocket and pop in a salad dish. Top with sliced Feta and thinly sliced Spanish Onion.
- 1 x Orange Cake Mix ($2.50)
- 2 Eggs ($0.50)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter ($0.17)
- 1/2 Cup Milk ($0.23)
- 6 Fruit Mince Pies $3.50
Total Cost for Dessert: $6.90
How to Make the Dessert:
- Make the cake batter up according to the instructions.
- Grease a cylinder cake tin well with canola oil.
- Pop a few tablespoons of cake batter into the tin, and pop in a Fruit Mince Pie. Repeat until the tin is 4/5th’s full.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove and serve with custard and ice cream.
Note: If you don’t want to do the Piecaken in the cylinder cake tin – it does work just as well in a standard cake tin – see below!