We try very hard as parents to keep dangerous things away from our children, but it doesn’t always work out.
Curiosity, as well as the love of putting things in their mouths, mean kids sometimes ingest things that are really bad for them.
This type of poisoning is known as accidental poisoning, making it different from the intentional poisoning or overdose that we might see in adults. It’s very common in young children, and can involve anything from cleaning products to medication. Kids aren’t old enough to know the difference between what is safe and what is not, here’s what you should know on how to treat poisoning.
What Can Be Poisonous?
The majority of poisoning in children happens at home, and usually involves something that is in sight waiting to be used while not being watched by an adult. In some cases, kids might have climbed up to get something that looked interesting, or crawled into cupboards.
You might be surprised how many household items can be poisonous if their use isn’t supervised. These include:
2. Cleaning Products
Items such as detergents, cleaning spray, bleach, washing powered, deodorants, drain cleaners and more.
Products like ointments, creams, shampoos, perfumes and aftershaves.
Natural plants, including native mushrooms and berries.
5. Other Items
Things like alcohol, essential oils, car products, pesticides, fuels, batteries, gardening products and cigarettes (when eaten).